Comfort food! Gimme comfort food, now! Moroccan meatballs with creamy, garlicky sweet potato mash is a plate full of comfort and your name is all over it.
Give it a try – I promise you won’t regret it.
MOROCCAN MEATBALLS WITH GARLIC SWEET POTATO MASH
ingredients for the meatballs
- 1 kg lean beef mince
- 60 ml rolled oats soaked in cold water for 20 minutes and drained
- 15 ml fine salt
- 5 ml dried chilli flakes
- 2.5 ml ground cinnamon
- 5 ml ground cumin
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 2.5 ml freshly ground black pepper
- half an onion, finely chopped and fried in a little oil
ingredients for the tomato sauce
- 20 ml olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 x tins whole peeled tomatoes
- 5 ml salt
- 5 ml honey
ingredients for the garlic sweet potato mash
- 600 g sweet potatoes, washed and steamed
- 100 g butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make the meatball mixture by combining all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Shape the meatballs into desired size, taking care not to pack the meat too tightly together. Place the meatballs on a tray and place them in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the tomato sauce by sauteeing the garlic in the olive oil.
- Once the garlic starts to turn a light golden colour, add the tomatoes, salt and honey. Bring to a gentle simmer and allow to cook for about 10 to 15 minutes until thick and sweet.
- Place the meatballs into the sauce and bring to a gentle simmer. Allow to cook for about 20 minutes, semi-covered, until the meatballs are cooked through and tender.
- In the meantime, finish the sweet potato mash by peeling the steamed sweet potatoes and place them into a large bowl. Add the butter, finely chopped garlic and seasoning. Mash with a potato masher until smooth and creamy.
- Serve warm mash with cooked meatballs, sauce and fresh coriander.
If sweet potato is not your vibe, then regular mash will do just fine – FYI.